Online Master's In Art Education - Top Programs 2017
Numerous individuals have a passion for all forms of art, though not everyone cares to perfect their skills in one specific department. If you love to experience the variety of techniques and trades involved in the art field, acquiring your online masters in art education is the quickest way to do what you love every day—by teaching others how! From teenagers just leaving high school to middle-aged artists looking for a new means of spreading the brilliance and creativeness involved in art, thousands are pursuing art education degrees.
Complete Guide To Online Master’s In Art Education
The Study of Art Education
Those that are beginning their own education on teaching art to others typically begin by acquiring either a degree in general art or a specialized version, such as one focused on graphic design, ceramics, painting, or sculpting. Generally, some variation of background in art history is required. From there, attaining a master’s requires expanding on that original certification, while also learning the process of teaching and how to apply learning methods to art. Most curriculum’s put primary focus on thoroughly developing and expanding each student’s knowledge of the art and child development factors.
Pursuing an Art Education Degree
Aside from a love of teaching or a passion for art and the determination to attain a career, those that major in specified art or education programs should consider combining the two and going for a masters in art education. When combined, the field is one of the very few in the world that allows the freedom of individualism, creativity, and clear communication. The joy of spreading self-satisfaction and personal fulfillment to others by sharing the knowledge one has of art is the greatest benefit that comes from attaining a degree in art education. For experienced artists looking to continue engaging in your beloved practice in your daily life, becoming a master of art education online will leave you feeling content and able to spread what you know and have learned from schools to community programs, and even in museums.
Standard Courses for a Masters in Art Education (minimum 48 graduate semester credits)
- Exploration of the theory of art therapy
- History of theory of art therapy
- Art therapy techniques currently in practice
- Art therapy application in a variety of locations, to a range of patients
- Understanding of and engaging in group art therapy
- Art therapy thorough assessment
- Art therapy practice and resulting legal and ethical issues
- Art therapy practice standards and basics
- Social and cultural diversity (in the work place; with potential students; in art; in education)
- Integration of knowledge into practice
Career Opportunities after Graduation
Once finding a career, the majority of individuals who attained a masters in art education find themselves teaching art in some variation. Recreational art classes held at non-profit organizations as well as those meant for charities are common workings for graduates with this degree. Generally, degree holders can find teaching jobs for any level of education and the average earnings in America compute to about $50,000 annually. Still, many graduates go on to study art therapy even more in depth, acquiring yet another degree that serves to broaden their teaching horizons to include jobs working in hospitals, rehabilitation clinics, nursing homes, and the like.
Pursuing an Online Master’s in Art Education
For many of the same reasons that the internet has gained popularity so rapidly, getting a masters in art education online is simply the most convenient way to obtain certification for a passion in art or education—or both! Many people have decades of experience as an artist and are only looking for a degree to be able to teach it to others. For them, studying on a campus every day seems like a waste of time and effort. Online education that is nationally accredited is no longer looked at as something that holds a lesser value. Whether you already know what you are doing as an artist or you are trying to start from scratch and learn what to do around your already tight schedule, become a master of art education online.
Typical Requirements for Admission to Master’s Programs
- Application for admission as well as a potential processing fee
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree (generally in art education or studio art)
- All official transcripts from an accredited institution that led up to and issued the baccalaureate degree
- Cumulative GPA of over 3.0 (varies with institute)
- Professional recommendations
- Statement of educational purpose from the applicant
- Copies of any teaching credentials or current resume
- Statement of Responsibility from applicant
- Artistic Portfolio (artwork samples)
- Other potential requirements vary by state and/or institute